Thursday, May 16, 2013

Violet Syrup


the 'dog violet'

after recently bumping into a recipe online for violet syrup (see the 'life's a lasagne' blog, here), I gave it a go myself. there's quite a few clumps of violets growing in the hedges around my garden so I didn't have to travel too far. If you are planning on making this recipe it does take quite a lot of flower to make 1 cup (240ml) of syrup.

 
if only for the colour itself it's worth making this vibrant syrup. it's apparently that's what I made it for too. I found out after smelling my syrup that it didn't smell much of violets at all! I discovered the violets I used were 'dog violets' which don't really smell at all. oops! the fragrant variety is called 'sweet violet' and bears a yellow centre. that's the violet to use for this recipe, so I did the leg work for you! now you know.
 

i'm planning on devising a cocktail with my syrup so stay tuned for the follow up post to this one. possibly a violet prosecco cocktail? I mean, whats better than after a good day in the garden than a refreshing drink? a partially foraged one.

after steeping for 1 day in water, the colour has bled out of the flowers


the finished syrup
__________________________________________________________

Violet Syrup

makes 1 cup (240ml)

1/2 cup (120ml)sweet violet flowers
1/2 cup (120ml)boiling water
1/2 cup (120ml)caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

  • place your flowers in a heat proof bowl
  • pour the 1/2 cup of boiling water over the flowers
  • cover for 24 hours
  • strain the flowers from the liquid with a fine mesh strainer or a sieve lined with muslin
  • place liquid in a small sauce pan and add lemon juice
  • bring just to the boil and add the sugar, stir until dissolved
  • pour the hot syrup into a sterilized jam jar and seal tightly. let cool
  • store in the refrigerator

3 comments:

  1. Interesting... I may have to try that as I have violets in the yard, I just have to see if they have perfume or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I'd want the syrup, but I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds huge fun, I adore violet creams so I am sure to like the syrup.

    ReplyDelete